Поболтаем о кино с Алексеем
Добро пожаловать, болтуны! You have been invited here to prepare to join Alex Sitnikov, SRAS’ Moscow Student Coordinator in a discussion about some of Russia’s major holidays. SRAS is excited to be working with you! Очень рады познакомиться!
Let’s start by letting Alex introduce himself:
So how does this work? Your instructor will let you know when the event will be and, if needed, how to log into it. Alex will start by introducing his subject in a short five-minute talk. Then, he’ll lead you in discussion using the Russian vocabularly you’ve learned in advance (see below) and following the questions below, which hopefully you’ve also taken the time to consider in advance. Скоро увидимся!
Новые слова для тебя!
- кино – cinema (as an art form)
- любимый фильм – favorite film/movie
- название фильма – film’s name
- перевод названия – translation of the name
- строка поиска – search bar
- жанр – genre
- про что он – what it’s about
- комедия – comedy
- драма – drama
- мюзикл – musical
- детектив – detective
- боевик – action
- биографический фильм – biopic
- длительность фильма – film’s length
- короткометражный/полнометражный фильм – short film/feature film
- кинопремии – film awards
- зрители – viewers
- кинокритики – movie/film critics
- бюджет – budget
- целевая аудитория – target audience
- многомиллионный – big budget (film; literally: multi-million)
- кинотеатр – movie theater
- кинопрокат – film distribution
- блокбастер – blockbuster
- арт-хаус – art film
- захватывающий сюжет – plot
- интересные персонажи – characters
- монтаж – editing
- саундтрек – soundtrack
- компьютерная графика – computer graphics, CGI
- спецэффекты – special effects
- съемочная площадка – set (literally: shooting area)
- режиссер – director
- актер/актриса – actor/actress
- гример – make-up artist
- костюмер – costume designer
- каскадер – stuntman
- опасные трюки – dangerous acrobatics
- зрелищный – spectacular
- дубляж/дублирование – dubbing
- на языке оригинала – in the original language
- мультфильм – a cartoon/animated film
- сериал – TV series
- с субтитрами – with subtitles
- звучание языка – the sound of a language
- темп речи носителей – speech tempo of natives
О чем именно будем болтать?
Consider how you would respond to the following questions:
- Вы любите смотреть кино? Фильмы каких жанров вы предпочитаете?
- Есть ли у вас любимый фильм? Расскажите о нем.
- Вы смотрите фильмы на русском языке? Какие?
(for more advanced students, below)
- Где вы больше любите смотреть кино – дома или в кинотеатре? Почему?
- У вас есть любимый актер или режиссер? Почему вам нравятся его работы? В каких фильмах он участвовал?
After the event, let us know how it went! We’d love to hear from you!
My semester back home so far has been incredibly influenced by my semester abroad with SRAS and I find myself talking about it almost daily. Since many of my classes touch on the region (Europe after Socialism, Central Asian Politics), I’m able to add comments and insights unavailable to me before. My contributions to our Russian club have also been greatly enriched. Thank you for everything you did to facilitate this experience and going out of your way to ensure our success.
I spent Fall and Spring with your program in St. Petersburg and it was truly the highlight and culmination of my University experience and just a banner year! I can’t thank you enough for or gush enough about your program. I recommend it to just about everyone I talk to, whether or not they’re interested in learning Russian.
At a time in my life when I was at a crossroads regarding where my career might take me, this course showed me a path that truly inspired me, and I haven’t looked back since.
The program here is wonderful. All of my teachers have been extremely helpful and I have made friends both here in the dorms and with others who live in the city and find that I often have many opportunities to practice Russian outside of the classroom. The university also has a speaking club which is comprised of both Russian and foreign students solely for the purpose of speaking practice in Russian. Already I feel that my Russian has improved immensely,especially my listening and speaking.
I wanted to find a program that combined my love of Russia and my passion for environmental studies. Because of my interest in environmental issues, Lake Baikal had always been a site of interest to me. Studying abroad in Siberia gives you the opportunity to see a completely different side of Russia and the Russian people. Just think, few people at home even know that Siberia is anything but a wintery tundra!
I’ve studied in Irkutsk and St. Petersburg with SRAS, but [Bishkek] is, by far, my favorite because of the intense focus on speaking skills. I spend about three hours, 4 times a week speaking one-on-one. It’s such a unique opportunity! The people are also especially friendly here. My homestay is fantastic, the coordinator is a never-ending wealth of help, and the food of Central Asia is delicious.